In October 2013, an iron bridge that served vehicular traffic in Bennington from the mid-1860s until the late 1950s, left, was restored for use by walkers on the trail from the Hiland Hall Gardens to The Mile-Around Woods.
The bridge’s design, patented in 1857 by Thomas Moseley, relies on a bowstring, iron-truss arch. The upper “tubular”" arch -- a hollow triangle in cross-section, made from riveted, iron boiler plates -- is offset by a lower “counter arch.” The lower arch prevents deflection of the main arch under a heavy load.
The photos below show the bridge in pieces prior to renovation; as it was being relocated to its new site; and in its new location in North Bennington.
Click here to view a video about the bridge restoration.